Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Better Luck Next Time? A Second Crack at the PS3

So hey, it looks like I'll be getting a Playstation 3 in the mail tomorrow. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Don't get me wrong... I quite deliberately purchased it, and I do want it. It'll be great to play all my PSOne games on a big screen again, along with all those exclusive titles I purchased during flash sales just because they were so cheap. I'll finally get to see what all the fuss was about with Tokyo Jungle!

Yeah, it's an old picture,
but it sums up my
feelings about the
console pretty well.
And yet, there was something about the system that stuck in my craw when I first owned one back in 2010... something that didn't make me terribly remorseful when I had to sell it to my brother to make ends meet. Maybe it was the way you had to tell the system to install games after you downloaded them, rather than handling it for you like the Xbox 360. Maybe it was the user interface, which works fine on a handheld like the PSP but isn't as well suited to a console. Perhaps it was because it didn't feel like a significantly different experience from the Xbox 360, which was my last generation console of choice.

Whatever the reason, the Playstation 3 left me with mixed feelings, but that was five years ago. The Xbox 360 experience dramatically changed in that span of time, evolving from the brightly colored blades to the current icon-based Metro interface. I'm hoping the Playstation 3 has gone through a similar evolution, making it easier and more fun to use. I'm also hoping that this PS3 will be around for a while... it's one of the old chunky models, and a lot of those have succumbed to the yellow light of death. Then again, my brother's Playstation 3 was still running the last time I asked him about it, so I probably have nothing to worry about. Uh... right?

Anyway, I'll let you guys know when it arrives, and what I think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment