Saturday, January 2, 2021

The Birthday Post, 2021 Edition

This birthday brings with it both relief (I survived 2020!) and a sobering thought. The characters Mai Shiranui and Cammy White are close to exactly my age. According to official Fatal Fury and Street Fighter canon, Mai was born on January 1st, 1974, while Cammy arrived five days later on the 6th. Note that they were intended to be the youngest members of their respective casts, with Street Fighter leads Ken and Ryu dating back to the 1960s and Zangief going back even farther than that, to the 1950s.

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and
presume she's no longer a hair over a
hundred pounds, either.

Cammy matured in later entries of the Street Fighter series, with more confidence and a posh British accent, but Mai seems to be preserved in amber, looking and acting pretty much just like she did in her 1992 debut. By the way, both Street Fighter II and the first Fatal Fury debuted thirty years ago... if that makes you feel old, just remember that you're in good company.

What else? Christmas and my birthday treated me well... I've got some pocket cash, Bookman's credit coming out of my ears, and a second Genesis Mini in case I need a spare. I'm dangerously addicted to Starlink, even without the silly toys sold separately. The Satiator is finally out, and at $259, my Saturn's need for games on solid state storage will have to go unsatiated. (I mean come on, even the Analogue Duo doesn't cost that much, and it's a full friggin' system!) That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment