Saturday, January 12, 2019

Nomad, Bro?

This comes as a surprise... Retro-Bit, the makers of the Super Retro-Cade I reviewed last year, is releasing its own version of the Nomad. That's the portable Genesis Sega launched at the tail end of 1995, and while it may have seemed like a good idea at the time, my personal experience with the original Nomad was, um... less than impressive. A milky, low contrast screen and a cartridge slot which can't keep a solid grip on games does not add up to a quality handheld gaming experience.


Hello... Newmad.
(image from Segabits)
That was nearly twenty five years ago, though. We've got the technology to do a portable Genesis justice now, right? I guess we'll find out once the system is released, although judging from Retro-Bit's past track record, that might take a while. They announced a series of Sega-inspired USB and Bluetooth controllers at last year's CES show, and those still haven't been released... although at least now, we have a solid launch date for those. Expect the joypads to hit stores by the end of February. Special thanks to GameTyrant for the scoop.

Before I go, I should probably offer a correction... the Pseudo Saturn Kai software that I mentioned in my last post has a higher compatibility rate than previously suggested. Before you break out the tar and feathers, let me just state in my defense that I based my comments on the software's official compatibility list. However, that list hasn't updated in a while, and some games that were marked in red actually work just fine with the latest version of PSK. In way of examples, I spent an hour with Saturn Bomberman last night, and didn't have any issues with it. Just something to keep in mind if you're on the fence about installing the software.

No comments:

Post a Comment