Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Happy Irthday to Me!


Er, sorry. Cake got slightly squashed in transit. Anyway, my aunt was kind enough to take me to Tucson for a birthday shopping spree, and here's a little of what I picked up while I was there.


I had to get some PSP games, of course, so this is what I managed to find for a reasonable price. From left to right, we've got Metal Gear Acid, Yugioh 5ds Tag Force 4, Metal Gear Portable Ops, and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters. You didn't know I was a fan of Metal Gear, did you? That's because I'm not, but these games fill a gap in my collection. Besides, I got Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops Plus in a previous deal, and I understand that even though it's a standalone release, it drops a lot of the content that was in the original game. Konami needs to work on learning its mathematical operands, apparently.

My only explanation for the Yugioh game is that the Craig of the Creek episode Bring Out Your Beasts made collectible card battles look more fun than the actual Yugioh cartoon series ever did. Ratchet and Clank needs no explanation, as that was a solid series of platformers from the start, and I wanted to give the trimmed down handheld extension a shot.

Nestled in the middle of these four PSP titles is a GameCube memory card, weighing in at a beefy 1019 blocks of storage. Standard GameCube cards barely hold anything- even the Game Boy Interface is a tight fit on a 59 block card- so this was a long overdue addition to my collection.


As you may already know, I bought a Sega Saturn last month. However, since a Sega Saturn is not much fun without games, I picked up a couple of cheap-ish titles at Bookman's. (Oh, for the days when Saturn games actually were cheap! I bought a new copy of Sega Rally Championship for five dollars back in the 1990s. Good luck finding it for that price now.) Judging from what I've played of the slippery and imprecise Sonic 3D Blast, I'm still not going to have much fun with this system, at least until I get an Action Replay with Pseudo Saturn installed on it. At least it'll make a good swap disc until that happens.

By the way, can I just state for the record that I kind of hate the long boxes Sega used for these games? They're nearly twice the height of the disc, and have this annoying tendency to fracture under even small amounts of stress. You'll notice that Sonic 3D Blast came in a standard DVD case... I don't know who was responsible for this, but frankly, I can't blame either Bookman's or the previous owner for making the swap.


Finally, I found a couple of Kirby games in a pawn shop on the way out of town, hidden in a pile of DS cartridges wrapped in tiny plastic bags. Kirby's Dream Land 2 is no big deal... I'm pretty sure that's included in Kirby's Dream Collection, which I already own. However, I hit the jackpot with that seven dollar copy of Kirby: Planet Robobot. I've been wanting that game for a while, but I could never bring myself to pay the forty bucks Nintendo wanted for a digital copy. Thanks to this lucky find, I can have both the game and thirty-three extra dollars in my pocket!

So, how's the game? It's very similar to the last one, Kirby's Triple Deluxe, but with a technological motif. There are no psychedelic fruits that give Kirby powers far above those of mortal pink puffs... now, he climbs into mechs, which give unprecedented weight to the control and can scan enemies for new abilities. Yes, Kirby could already steal powers from his foes, but the robot takes this ability to the next level, with flamethrowers, blasts of electricity, and plasma swords many times larger than anything he could conjure up on his own. Beyond that, it's just more Triple Deluxe... not that I'm complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment