Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Vitae and Their Kin

I think it's time for a little Vitalogy, don't you?

image from Wikipedia
Er, not that. That was an overrated Pearl Jam album, from where I'm standing. No Code got ripped by the critics, but at least it didn't have Bugs and Hey Foxymophandlemama on it. How is that last one even a song?!

No, this was the Vitalogy I had in mind.


I've built up quite a collection of these guys over the last four years, haven't I? From the top, we have a Playstation TV deluxe set, two PSP 3000s flanking a PSP Go, another Playstation TV, and two Vitas. The Vita on the left was my most recent acquisition, procured from a pawn shop and upgraded to the latest firmware. Yes yes, I know, but all the other systems in that picture have already been hacked. I needed a legit machine that I could use to access the PSN Store and play physical cartridges, since the cart port on my first Vita is already occupied by an SD card adapter. No regerts.

Admittedly, I wish my second Vita had been, well, the second Vita. You know, the lighter one with the less impressive LCD screen but option buttons that don't require surgical precision to press. Why Sony thought it would be a good idea to use tiny ovals flush with the face of the unit is anyone's guess. Sega did the same thing with the first model of the Saturn, and it drives me bananas. C'mon guys, say it with me... function before form!

But I'm not just posting to grouse about the design flaws in obsolete hardware, or show off my collection of Sony handhelds and juicy grapefruits. I just wanted to say that I picked up another pawful of PSP games, and that I'd be happy to post reviews if you'd like to read them. I mean, I'd still probably post the reviews even if you didn't want to read them... I'd just be less happy about it.

4 comments:

  1. Which PSP games are you talking about here, Jess? Regardless, yes, share some reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, let's see...

      Lumines
      WipeOut Pure
      Marvel Ultimate Alliance
      Star Ocean First Departure
      Final Fantasy Tactics
      Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
      Need for Speed Carbon
      Tron (UMD movie)

      Each of the games were five dollars, which is a pretty flippin' good deal from where I'm standing, even if some of them didn't have cases. I've also got Grand Knights History coming from Japan (got it for an irresistible price during eBay's $5 off sale), but I reviewed that one AGES ago, so...

      And yes, I bought the film TRON. Look, it was a nostalgia thing, okay? You would not BELIEVE how excited eight year old me was about this movie. I had the color storybook and everything!

      Delete
  2. I usually like hearing about PSP gaming. Not sure there's a lot there that I haven't already read about, but maybe the Marvel Alliance game (couldn't quite get into it on Xbox).
    But I'll take anything really.
    Nice score on the Vita though. I do wonder how much better the newer model is with fighters (mine are the older models too).
    Hey, didn't you review SNK Arcade classics once? I have good memories of that on PSP and am reliving some on the PS2 port (even though I have 6 of those games on other PS2 collections).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did get Marvel Ultimate Alliance. The Cliff Notes is that it's a solid port that's probably too ambitious on the PSP. Everything is so damn small and crowded! Ugh!

      Delete