Saturday, June 23, 2018

May the Cube Be With You

...and your father, whoo-ooo-ooo.

Anyway, I went back to that GameCube I modded last year and rescued from a Goodwill the year before. Turns out the mod chip works fine... I just burned the discs wrong. After swapping drives in my desktop and burning the mini DVDs at 4x speed, they work spendidly in my Cube. Now I not only won't need the official boot disc for my Game Boy Player, I don't even need to use a copy of Agent Under Fire as a backdoor to the software I'm using as a replacement. 

The conventional wisdom is that the Game Boy Interface is actually better than the software that shipped with the Game Boy Player, but I'm not seeing a vast improvement. However, it does play the games, albeit in a very bare-bones way, and that's all I really needed. Now I just need a better controller for them, and while I'm at it, an S-video cable without so much noise in the picture. I'd step up to component video, but my GameCube can't do that... and neither can my wallet, judging from the price of the cable. And I thought my friend was nuts when he bought his for sixty dollars back in 2003.

So what else is going on right now? There's the latest flash sale... Sony is selling dozens of games for its Playstation line of game systems at tantalizing discounts. They've been doing this every month for years so it's nothing to get too excited about, but it's at least given me an excuse to pick up Ultimate Ghouls 'n Ghosts, one of the few Capcom games that was missing from my PSP collection. The footage on YouTube suggests that it still looks gorgeous after all these years, and there's an easy mode, so what do I have to lose? Aside from a few tufts of hair torn out of my scalp from the frustration, I mean. That easy mode is only going to be easy by Ghouls 'n Ghosts standards, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment