Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Catch a Tiger by the Tail

The Genesis Flashback HD that I reviewed in my last post is chock full of issues, but it's not totally without merit. Turns out that it (along with some of the other devices in the AtGames product line, including the more warmly received Atari Flashback Gold) was built with Android hardware. It's not exactly top of the line, with a dual-core processor, 256MB of RAM, and 2GB of flash storage, but there's still more than enough technology here to run Genesis games properly. Right now, I've got my Flashback HD running MD.emu, a faster, better emulator than what's offered by default. There are still a few kinks I need to work out, but I'm confident that with some assistance and the right software, I can turn this thing into the Sega Genesis I hoped it would be. Special thanks to the guys at GBATemp and AtariAge user rmr_md for their help.

Speaking of emulation, there are seventy different handheld games from the 1980s and early 1990s ready for you to play online, courtesy of the always handy Internet Archive. Just click on this link and you'll be taken straight to them! Some highlights include the Texas Instruments Speak and Spell, Epoch's Astro Command (I used to love this so much when I was a kid...), and the Coleco tabletop arcade line. There are more than a few gaps in the library right now, but it's a strong start. Now someone needs to find a way to make smartwatches play Nelsonic Pac-Man, complete with those tiny plastic joysticks...

No comments:

Post a Comment