Monday, July 17, 2017

Fighting Games Are Great!

They sure are, Tokido. (Well, except Street Fighter V.) 

There was some pretty big news announced at EVO, the yearly fighting game tournament. Let's start with Tekken 7. Not content with Akuma, Namco has added another final boss from a competing series to the game's growing roster. Here he is, freshly scraped off the streets of South Town... it's Geese Howard!


Not sure I'm in love with his voice or the medallion around his neck which seems to defy gravity, but at least he's got all his moves from the Fatal Fury series. That includes the Reppuken, which might be a little out of place in a series where projectiles are rarely used, but I'm sure Namco will make it work.

What else? Capcom revealed their own crossover character for Street Fighter V, and fittingly, it's kind of a letdown. You remember Abigail from Final Fight, right? No? Well, Capcom still does. He's back, and he's so big and brawny he could make even Hugo pee his pants.


You could make fun of his name, but considering that he could give you a concussion with a flick of his finger, I wouldn't recommend it.

There was also news of a tag-team fighter featuring the characters from several Arc System Works series. I think I've made it clear in the past that I don't like ASW's games, but for completion's sake, here's the clip.


Before I go, there's something I've been meaning to mention on Kiblitzing, but never seem to get around to it. I was having trouble performing dragon punch motions with joysticks- even that top of the line one from MadCatz- and was getting frustrated by the situation. After all, the shoryuken is an important attack in 2D fighters, defending you from aerial opponents, and some characters are nearly helpless without it.

The solution to my rising uppercut dysfunction was embarrassingly simple... I just needed to lighten up. My grip on the joystick, I mean. See, American arcades use rugged parts that force the player to really lean into the stick to get complex motions like the shoryuken to register. Home joysticks (and indeed, all sticks that use the Japanese design) don't respond well to this, though. Since they're designed for precision rather than durability, they demand a lighter touch from the player. Once I adjusted my play style to compensate, I found myself performing dragon punches with relative ease, even in games like Capcom vs. SNK 2 where the timing for commands is uncomfortably tight. Trust me on this one... quick, gentle inputs make a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment