Monday, November 16, 2020

Garfield Was Right About Mondays...

You want the good news or the bad news? I think we've all had our fill of bad news, so I'll start with the good news first. The Dreamcast has been getting a steady diet of Atomiswave ports, courtesy of MegaVolt85 and another hacker who calls himself yzb. Yes, Dolphin Blue is one of those titles, although bugs in the conversion process mean that you can only play through half the game before it loses its marbles. More stable arcade ports include Faster than Speed, Maximum Speed, and King of Fighters NeoWave, the game I warn-told you about in the last post. I'm just sayin', man, I wouldn't have picked it, but if you plan to port all these games to the Dreamcast, even the one where you're slinging sushi to hungry customers, I guess NeoWave would be an unfortunate inevitability. Like death, or taxes, or overpowered SNK bosses, which this game certainly has.

Okay, now on to the bad news. Hey, I warned you it was coming! It seems that ReedPop is pulling the plug on USGamer after seven years of publication, a move which is already drawing uncomfortable parallels to the shuttering of 1UP ten years earlier. I wasn't an avid reader of USGamer, but I respected its "business casual" approach to games journalism, and continue to admire its writers, including Mike Williams, Jeremy Parish, and Nadia Oxford. Here's hoping that 2021 will reverse their ill fortunes... along with everyone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment