Saturday, January 11, 2020

The Harder They Are, The Bigger You Fail

I've got some exciting news. Well, it's exciting to me, anyway! After repeatedly getting flattened by the final boss of Dead Cells, the Hand of the King, I finally took the creep down using this loadout:


At the start of this run, I noticed the game was being incredibly generous with its item drops. I was getting weapons and skills early on that normally wouldn't be available until the halfway point, leaving me a relatively easy path to the final showdown. There were a few slip-ups along the way... I got overwhelmed by the spider-like Hammers in the Prison Depths and lost my YOLO mutation to their endless swarm of Corpse Flies. Fortunately, I was able to swig down a health potion in the chaos and escaped to the next stage, where the enemies weren't nearly as relentless.

Ultimately, I claimed victory not only thanks to random chance, but the deliberate decision to concentrate my level-boosting scrolls on the Tactics attribute. That's the one which strengthens your traps, torture devices like crossbows and buzzsaws which let you do sustained damage to enemies from a safe distance. With the Tactics stat at level fifteen, ordinary monsters melted like butter, and even the King's right-hand man couldn't withstand my assault, falling after a couple of minutes. As you can tell from the image above, there was a synergy happening with my gear... the traps covered the ground in flames, while the weapons did extra damage while the Hand was burning. The Sinew Slicer caused bleeding, while the Double Crossb-o-matic salted the open wounds. Throw in a defensive bonus when I was standing near one of the traps, and the last boss didn't stand a chance.

Of course, I could play Dead Cells again at a higher difficulty level, but honestly? This was all the challenge I needed. In fact, it may have been a little more challenge than I wanted. I'll just pull myself away from the table before I get more than I can handle...

No comments:

Post a Comment