Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Unquantifiable

So! I thought it might be fun to try playing the Atari game Quantum with a touchscreen. Unfortunately, MAME disagreed. Try as I might, I couldn't force the arcade-only fork of this emulator to recognize my Fujitsu's display as an input device, dashing my plans. Yes, I tried changing settings, both inside and outside the emulator. No dice.


It's aggravating because Quantum is for all intents and purposes a touchscreen game... it just doesn't realize it. Just look at this footage! You're capturing particles by drawing lines around them. The only thing that keeps this from being a smartphone game is the fact that it was released twenty five years before we had smartphones. Why Atari hasn't capitalized on this with a sequel is a complete mystery. Hell, lots of things Atari has done lately are puzzling, like making a new VCS that's more expensive (and somehow uglier) than the old one was in 1977.

No comments:

Post a Comment