Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Inert Mass

First, I thought this Jim Sterling video would make a good bookend to the comments I made earlier about the ESA's plans for next year's E3. Just a warning in advance... Jim approaches the topic with his usual brusqueness, so you may want to skip this if you're offended by colorful language and creative excrement metaphors. Special thanks to David Oxford for bringing this video to light by posting it in his Twitter feed.


Okay, now that we've gotten that out of the way... my apologies for the long wait between posts. Again. I don't know, man, I've just been creatively spent lately. I'm indifferent about the latest video games, and priced out of the older ones, which continue to rise in price. 

Hell, even personal computers from the 1980s have gotten too expensive for me to squeeze into my budget. Would I like to get an Atari XE to replace the one I had in the late 1990s? Sure, absolutely. Am I going to pay over a hundred dollars for an 8-bit computer with a tiny fraction of the power of today's systems? Hell to the no. It's just not a smart investment, nostalgia and brand loyalty be damned. Sure, I'm occasionally tempted to buy something frivolous, like an expansion pack for my long-neglected Amiga CD32, but then I look over at the ThinkPad I bought from eBay for a third of its price, and the temptation doesn't last long. I'll just install an emulator on that and pretend it's an Amiga on steroids.

No comments:

Post a Comment