Sunday, May 5, 2019

SNK-o de Mayo

Whoops! Looks like I forgot to post on May the 4th. Well you knew what I was gonna say already... Star Wars fans are obsessed nerds, etc. etc. Here, I'll just let Triumph the Insult Comic Dog do it for me.


So we'll just jump to a legitimate holiday, Cinco de Mayo. I celebrated the occasion by picking up the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection... the connection to Mexico's day of independence is tenuous at best, but it was cheaper than the retail price, and I don't have anything else to discuss. So there. 

The purchase seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I'm having second thoughts. Would the thirty dollars have been better spent on a copy of Nier Automata: Become As Gods Edition? The time I spent with anti-classics like Bermuda Triangle, Munch Mobile, and Vanguard suggests that yes, it would have, and yes, I was a dumbass for picking door number two. It's too late for regrets, so I'll just dump cherry pits into an approaching garbage can while you save a ravaged planet Earth from mechanical monsters.

Anyone care to explain what's going
on here? Because I don't have the figgiest.
(image from Wikipedia)
On the bright side, this is the Xbox One version, with all the games already included (no extra downloads are necessary), plus the NES version of Baseball Stars as a bonus. I spent a fair amount of time playing Baseball Stars as a teenager, building teams, playing games, and firing the dead weight, so that definitely adds to the value of the collection. 

On top of that, it's always fun to p'sharktank soldiers across the screen in P.O.W., listen to an early version of Fatal Fury's South Beach theme in Street Smart, and gun your way through the various anachronisms in Time Soldiers, best described as a prequel to Alpha's Ninja Commando without the Street Fighter influence. So I'll live. I mean, how good could Nier be, anyway? (Don't answer that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment