Monday, February 4, 2019

Half 'cast

"Ooh, a Dreamcast for twenty-two dollars! How could I pass that up?"
"Does it come with a controller? Or A/V cables? Or anything else that would make it usable?"
"Uh..."
"Congratulations. You just bought a Sega-branded paperweight."

Well, you can't blame me for trying. As usual, I do have this system in Michigan, but since it doesn't look like I'll be getting it back any time soon, I've had to go with plan B and order another one. I just might not be playing it any time in the near future.

By the way, can anyone vouch for the high definition cables available for the Dreamcast? They come in VGA and HDMI flavors, and while they're said to be a big improvement over composite cables, I also understand that they don't play nice with some games or television sets. Heck, they're not even compatible with every Dreamcast, although that mostly applies to the black Sega Sports model that was introduced late in the system's short life. You know, the more piracy proof model that came out after the Dreamcast was cracked and the Playstation 2 loomed overhead like a console-crushing Death Star. 

Eh, I guess you can't blame Sega for trying, either.

1 comment:

  1. I have one of those Pound HD Link cables, and while I haven't fully tested it,...It looks great in HD when using a white Dreamcast (My black one doesn't work at all) on games that work which is all but a handful I'm told. I'm too tired to look it up but the games that don't work have something to do with how they display in 480p or something. So far only my MAME disc hasn't worked, but I haven't tried out any other emulators or imports or anything...Doing it over, I'd probably just get a VGA cable first, if I hadn't gotten a great deal on this...

    ReplyDelete