Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Errata 2600

I thought it might be a good time to mention that I made a mistake in a previous post. Sure, I published it five years ago, but anyone with a Coleco Gemini who's given serious thought to modding this Atari 2600 clone for modern television sets will nevertheless want to know this. Back in 2013, I tried to find the pinouts for one of the system's chips using a tedious process of testing each pin with a multimeter. Some of my findings were correct, but others were so far off base that it was a wonder I managed to get a recognizable picture out of my composite video mod.

The correct pinout for the 73192 (aka the E4002) is right here on Console5, and they would know... the web site has been selling mod kits and replacement parts for game systems for years. (I've been thinking about picking up their S-video kit for the Sega Genesis, because it's starting to look like it's the only way I'll ever get a halfway decent picture out of the system.) If you'd like to add composite jacks to your Gemini, use Console5's pinout as a guide, not mine. Also, you might want to reinforce the controller ports with hot glue or something... I've heard they don't hold up to repeated use. It was a budget system, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment