Saturday, September 16, 2017

It's All Downhill from Here

First on the menu, a guy named Arian Kordi has created an oekaki site called Closedverse, which mimics the style and some of the functionality of Miiverse. You can't post screenshots directly from your 3DS, but there's more flexibility overall, with users posting video clips and full color drawings along with the usual black and white sketches. I don't have an account on the site yet, but I have a feeling that it's going to become my methadone once my withdrawal from Miiverse kicks in after November 8th.

Now that we're done with the appetizer, it's time for the main course! After hearing all the praise heaped onto SSX 3, I decided to pick up a copy of this popular snowboarding title for myself. All that hype is not without merit... the game looks gorgeous in spite of its age, with rolling hills spilling out into the distance and tiny specks of light sparkling on nearby mounds of snow. It also doesn't take itself too seriously, which is refreshing in this increasingly grim era of gaming. There's just one problem, though...



I am completely terrible at SSX 3. I couldn't even say that I'm all thumbs, because that suggests some degree of skill, however little. I am no thumbs at this game. It's like I'm playing SSX with my tongue. I can't even explain why I'm doing so poorly, because I've had previous experience with the Tony Hawk series. I'm hardly a tournament caliber THPS player, but I've got a grasp of the basics and can string together a few combos.

Problem is, SSX 3 isn't Tony Hawk. The techniques that worked in Tony Hawk don't always work here, and the ones that do have been reassigned to different button combinations. The board press serves a similar function to Tony Hawk's manual, adding to the multiplier of a combo while keeping it active. However, instead of tapping up-down or down-up on the D-pad, you briefly hold up or down on the right thumbstick. I mean, hey, you might as well use every input on the gamepad, right?


It's complicated. Seriously.
(image from YouTube)
Tricks are also counter-intuitive... instead of the fire and forget approach of Tony Hawk, you've got to hold buttons down briefly to make the trick count. You can "pre-wind" moves while you're on the ground, making them activate faster... but, uh, why is that even necessary? All these little changes leave you with an experience that seems familiar, yet really isn't once you get past the superficial similarities. It's like learning to ride a bike, then being expected to go a few miles on a unicycle.

Then there's the whole issue of downward momentum. With Tony Hawk, you're almost always moving, but you've got control of exactly where you'll go next. SSX gives you one direction, down, and while you can alter your course to some degree, you can't head back up the mountain if you've missed a rail, or a hidden item, or that all-important ramp which will let you tack a few extra tricks onto your combo. There's little room for error, and the punishment for making a mistake can be so severe that you'll have to restart a race or a heat to have any hope of victory. As the kind of gamer who hates being forced to repeat a mission over and over until it's done just right, that doesn't sit well with me.

I suppose all of this wouldn't be so frustrating if SSX 3 had been forgettable. I could play it, decide that it wasn't for me, and move on with my life. The problem is that I'm pretty sure it's as good as everyone says, but it's also as dense and impenetrable as a lead wall. I love SSX, but it doesn't love me.

5 comments:

  1. My wife and I loved the heck out of SSX Tricky back on the PS2. I haven't played any of the other entries in the series, but I remember Tricky being a ton of fun.

    We mainlined those old Tony Hawk games too. There was a long stretch when we didn't play snything else. So much fun. I think it all went downhill after Pro Skater 4 though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lord, THPS 4 was horrendous. There were way too many rails set twenty feet over the playfield, and someone got it into their fool head that players wanted the series to become an adventure game, with all the annoying fetch quests that come with it. "Hey, do this series of tricks! Grab those things over there! Good dog! Sit! Roll over!" Bleech.

      I wasn't completely finished with Tony Hawk after 4... I enjoyed American Sk8teland on the DS, to name an example. But 4 was that first stumble into a downward spiral for the series, definitely.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jess Ragan! I was hoping to send you a direct email, but had no luck finding one, so I'll pass along a message here. I have a new e-zine that I'm giving away for free to everyone who joins my mailing list (I have several books coming soon). Here's the link to Ghibli Blog:

    http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2017/08/get-your-free-book.html

    Please let me know what you think of the new zine, I'm very interested to hear opinions from my old zine peers.

    Back to your post, I always respected the SSX series, but could never wrap my head around the "crouch down to build energy" schtick. I have no idea why such an idea was used. It's a bit like patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time. You have to charge up energy for stunts while continuing to steer without crashing into anything. Maybe it's just me, but I think Steep Slope Sliders on Sega Saturn plays much, much better, and it's much closer to the Tony Hawk Pro Skater paradigm.

    I do have SSX Blur for Nintendo Wii, but I've only played it once for a short spell. It's supposed to be great fun once you master the controls. For the Wii, the two Shaun White Snowboarding games are the ones to get, easy controls, great locations, smooth and easy controls. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, that was so long ago...

      I'll keep your offer in mind, but my attention span is so short these days that I rarely read anything longer than blog posts. To illustrate my point, I bought several books from a Story Bundle a month ago, and I've barely touched any of them. I've got all the focus of a chihuahua on meth.

      Anyway. I've got one of the Shaun White games for the Wii, but it's on the other end of the country, along with 80% of my collection. Maybe I'll have to give it a spin once I get it back.

      Delete