Wednesday, April 1, 2015

It's Been Fun: The End of Club Nintendo

We interrupt these April Fool's Day pranks for news that's unfortunately all too real. Starting today, you can no longer register codes on Club Nintendo, the first step toward its permanent retirement. This is an especially bitter pill to swallow if you, say, bought a copy of Lego City Undercover for the Wii U and found one of these codes tucked inside the package. Heh.


Please love me!
I can honestly say that as a Wii U owner, Club Nintendo had made that system a lot more entertaining. Along with the previously shuttered Digital Deluxe Promotion, it added a dozen free games to my collection, including titles like Guacamelee and Pikmin 3 that I would have otherwise skipped. Club Nintendo also gave me an added nudge to buy titles I was on the fence about, like Bravely Default. Without the extra incentive offered by Nintendo coins, it's a safe bet that I'll probably leave those toss-up purchases on the shelf.

On the plus side, Club Nintendo is also offering a free game to Elite members, and there are some pretty sweet choices if you managed to earn Platinum status. How does Yoshi's New Island grab you? Oh, it doesn't. In that case, maybe Animal Crossing: New Leaf, or Mario Golf World Tour, or Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is more your speed. If you bought and registered enough games last year, you can download any one of these titles during the month of April.



This news brought to you by Perfection Bakery, located in sunny Worthington, Indiana. Stop in and try one of our delightful cakes, unless you come in with a gay lover, a wheelchair, autism spectrum disorder, unsightly five 'o clock shadow, halitosis, or a slightly askew tie. Then you'll just have to get a Pepperidge Farm cake from the grocery store down the street, you big jerk. Perfection Bakery: We only serve the very best. Which probably isn't you.



(rude cake image supplied by the Huffington Post)

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited about the free Platinum games, but I just wish the Club Nintendo website would stay stable long enough that I could get one. Right now just logging into the site is a problem. I was gonna go for Yoshi's New Island, but at this rate I might just do some Wii U spring cleaning so I can get Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It's not like I've played Pikmin 3 that much recently anyway since Mom and I moved onto Hyrule Warriors for multiplayer fun times.

    Anyway, I had some good times with Club Nintendo. Most of the physical prizes were lame (aside from the odd exceptions like Mario Hanafuda, the Blooper folding fan, and other (usually limited) prizes), but I did get a lot of free digital games out of the service, some being games I was planning to buy (and in some cases kept putting off) and others being games I wouldn't have tried otherwise.

    Kinda sad to see it go.

    ReplyDelete