Thursday, October 16, 2014

Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys? Terra Cresta

Look, I'll start writing about fighting games again really soon, I promise. Right now, though, I want to show you something I turned up while doing research for an article on Hardcore Gaming 101. (I'm writing something for them! I know, I'm excited, too!)

It turns out that Terra Cresta, the overhead view shooter that I'd reviewed last month for Shmuptember, was more popular in its home country than it was here in the States. In fact, it was so popular that it inspired its own toy, with another coming soon. Here's the first one, released in the 1980s:



This is the Double Detach & Combine Terra Cresta. All five ships from the game come together to form the mighty Wing Galiber. But that ain't all, folks! Since turning the ship into a phoenix would probably just melt the plastic, the manufacturers took a page from Voltron and made the alternate form a towering robot. Observe!



Yes, I've seen better robot toys too. This Pixiv image posted by MIP makes him look more presentable. I'm not sure if MIP himself drew this or if it was promotional artwork for the toy, but either way, it was worth sharing.



Special thanks to Marionette Mind for the images.

This may have been the first Terra Cresta toy, but it won't be the last. Takara Tomy plans to release its own Wing Galiber at the end of the year, as part of its Shooting Game Historica EX series. Only concept drawings of the toy exist so far, but I have every confidence that the finished product will look a lot better than the Double Detach & Combine Terra Cresta figure.



You can pre-order the Wing Galiber from AmiAmi (where I got the picture) or my favorite online retailer of import gaming goods, National Console Support. At sixty dollars or more, it'll tear a big chunk out of your budget, but nobody said this hobby was cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment