Friday, November 18, 2022

It's a Hard Naka Life

Sometimes it feels like the drama going on behind the scenes in the video game industry is more exciting than the games themselves. Like that time the Swedish mafia launched a handheld game console as a convoluted long con, before its leader sliced a sports car in half during a joyride through the California countryside. Or that time when Sonic co-creator Yuji Naka was arrested for insider trading at Square-Enix, because he sure as hell wasn't going to make any money from Balan Wonderworld. That just happened, by the way. For all I know Naka could be in prison right now, calling his lawyer and wishing he'd never took that job at Square. (I'm sure everyone who bought Balan Wonderworld feels the same way.)

Unfortunately, I haven't been getting terribly excited about video games as of late, which is why you haven't heard much from me this month. Kiblitzing isn't dead... it's just currently in a state of boredom-induced torpor. It's not that I don't have tons, and tons, and tons of video games to play... my backlog is currently longer than Santa's naughty list. What's missing is motivation. Everything is just too much bother, especially those big-ass eighty hour long epics that all the game companies insist on releasing. You guys know I'm going to lose interest a quarter of the way through, right? It's telling that the only games I care to play these days are thirty year old Neo-Geo titles like League Bowling that can be wrapped up in a matter of minutes. 

Chronic depression and a recent attraction to marijuana probably aren't helping matters much. The latter helps with the former, but it certainly doesn't help with what remains of my creative ambition. I just don't want to DO anything anymore, and this chronically neglected blog reflects that. My apologies to anyone who comes here hoping for new content, only to find indifference.

No comments:

Post a Comment