Monday, May 10, 2021

ZAMN It All, or Curb Your Dogecoin

"I don't wanna" can make nothing happen to you, too.

Sorry folks. There's currently not much to report, and not much motivation to post what gaming news is available. I can say that Disney is releasing a two-pack of Zombies Ate My Neighbors and its stealth sequel Ghoul Patrol for the Switch, under its Lucasfilm Games banner. (I thought it was "LucasArts" now? Geez Mickey, make up your tiny rodent mind. Also, pay your damn sci-fi writers while you're at it.) Special thanks to the always reliable "Oh no!" Mollie Patterson for the scoop.

Zombies Ain't My Favorite.
(image from Reddit)

I personally wasn't a big fan of ZAMN, but then again, I was a Genesis man back in the early 1990s, and it didn't feel like LucasWhatever put its best foot forward in that version of the game. Maybe it couldn't have been better on Genesis, since the game's charm was heavily dependent on clean sound samples and colorful sprites. Strip those away (and cover a quarter of the screen with a black bar) and you just have Gauntlet: Late 20th Century Edition, and there's a perfectly good version of Gauntlet on the Genesis already. A version of Gauntlet which, by the way, has one of the coolest damn soundtracks you're gonna hear on that system... none of that crummy GEMS sound engine crap like Zombies Ate My Neighbors had. GEMS... when you only care enough to send Genesis owners' ears the very least.

So, what else? Switch Pro (or is it Super Nintendo Switch?) rumors are flaring up like hemorrhoids again, but I'll be honest, I have very little interest in buying another game system at the moment, let alone a third Switch. PS5s and Xbox Series-es have been tough to hunt down thanks to the pandemic slowing down chip manufacture, but I'm quite happy with the previous generation of consoles, and I don't see that changing any time in the near future. 

(Gee, I sound like a re-run of myself from 2016, except then I was sticking with the Xbox 360 and PS3.)

What I could use is a new PC, and I've been slowly putting one of those together from random bits and bobs. You know, a spare hard drive here, a refurbished motherboard there, and a generously donated GPU to top it all off. Did you know that the GTX 970 is seven years old but will still run you a kingly $400 on the open market? That's mostly thanks to the virtual stripmining operations people have running in their basements. I have expressed my contempt for cryptocurrency in the past, have I not? At least some friends managed to make Dogecoin work for them when someone (who recently hosted SNL, and badly) decided that it had value beyond making fun of all the other brands of invisible money on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment