Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Let the Sun Shine In

I'm fighting a cold (or worse?) right now, and I'm not feelin' so great. However, this late-breaking news perked me up just a little. Hamster and Platinum Games have teamed up to make a sequel to Terra Cresta that will hopefully take the bitter taste of Terra Cresta 3D out of the mouths of fans. We're getting dangerously close to April Fool's Day so I won't put too much stock in this game being released, but at the same time the early footage looks pretty authentic, and there's too much thought put into the new play mechanics for this to be a cruel hoax. I'll let you be the judge.

This time, there are three ships instead of the usual five, and they're tethered by bolts of electricity, which act as bullet absorbing shields. The formation of ships gathers energy with each successful shot, and that energy can either be invested in homing missiles or the series' trademark phoenix attack, an apparent tip of the hat to Radiant Silvergun and its sequel Ikaruga. Sol Cresta already looks better than Terra Cresta 3D for the Sega Saturn... but then again, so did that phlegm I hacked up a couple of minutes ago in a coughing fit. (Hey, if I have to suffer from this, so do you.)

The Terra Cresta sequel will be released for home computers, the Playstation 4, Nintendo's Switch, and... not so fast, the Xbox One wasn't invited to this party. I'm sensing bad blood between Hamster and Microsoft... they've never released anything but Neo-Geo arcade games for the Xbox One, and lately, even those never get discounted in Microsoft's weekly sales. 

I'd love to know the scandalous details of the breakup between these two companies, but Hamster doesn't seem eager to discuss it on its Twitter account... and Microsoft is too busy buying everything that's not bolted down to respond to its customers. Alas, poor Discord, I knew you well...

No comments:

Post a Comment