Sunday, August 18, 2019

Thinks, A Lot

Sorry I've been out of the picture for a while, gang. My mind's been elsewhere, mostly on the punishing Arizona heat but also on my acquisition of two ThinkPad computers. I got the first, a T530, as a replacement for an Acer that was long overdue for retirement. I'm using it right now, and it's pretty snazzy, with a solid build and more power than I've ever had in a laptop. Heck, it's got an i7 processor, which I've never had in any computer! Couple that with eight gigs of RAM and an SSD hard drive and you've got a user experience so smooth, you have to spell it with six extra "o"s.

The second machine, a T430, was an impulse purchase. I saw it for a little over fifty bucks on eBay, and figured "what the heck?" It was advertised as parts/repair, but the seller demonstrated that it boots to BIOS, and I can tell from personal experience that it can go a lot farther than that. It runs the build of Linux Mint I copied onto a flash drive, and I'm hoping to install Windows 7 on it when the SSD drive arrives sometime this week. It's not as powerful as the T530, with an i5 processor and 4 gigs of RAM, but I'm confident that it'll be more than suitable as a replacement for my RCA Cambio. That single USB port was really starting to chafe...

No comments:

Post a Comment