Monday, May 13, 2024

Whack 'Em Smack 'Em Byrons

 

 

In case you were wondering where I've been for the last month and a half, I've been working on a video game... my first since the Game Boy Advance conversion of GORF way back in 2009. It's called Whack 'Em Smack 'Em Byrons, it's for the ColecoVision and the SG-1000, and it's available free of charge from my Itch.IO page. If you've ever played whack a mole, it's basically that, but with graphics and sound that stretch the limits of these two systems. 

The story is as follows: Byron visits an arcade, only to get the shock of his life when he touches a token against the metal edges of the coin drop. That shock is doubled when he realizes that shorting out the machine has won him 256 extra lives... except they're digital copies of himself! It's your job to clean up the mess he made, bopping the holo-Byrons with swings of your electrostatic PEEK-0 mallet. Swat a Byron on the head and he vanishes, but hit him on his butt and you'll lose points. Beware! The pesky bears arm themselves with bombs in the later stages... hit one and it's an instant game over.

I'm talking to some folks about physical distribution, but for the moment, the game can be had digitally for the price of free ninety free. And it's good! It's one of the better games in the ColecoVision library, if I do say so myself. I mean, you would expect me to say that, since I made it, but give it a try and judge for yourself. It sure beats the crap out of Rolloverture, or Gust Buster, or whatever the hell Illusions was supposed to be. Also, try the SG-1000 version! It's got an exclusive Sega-licious intro screen which I think you'll like. I sure liked making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment