Saturday, December 31, 2022

The Xbox Series: Three hundred percent more exactly the same as the last generation console!

That was a pleasant surprise! My Xbox Series S arrived days before I expected it, so now I've got time to share my experiences in one last post before the door slams on this... unenviable year.

And my current impression is... uh, bewilderment. This is a next generation console, right? Then why is the interface a carbon copy of what I was already using on the Xbox One? Please tell me Microsoft doesn't think Metro is the apex of interactive menu design and that nothing needs to be changed!

It's faster than the interface on the Xbox One, but aside from the speed, so much about the Series feels like the previous generation console that it feels like I paid $240 for a system I already had. I'm sorry, but when I step up to a new game console, I need visual assurance that what I'm getting is better than what came before it. 

What I'm seeing here is exactly the same thing as the console I bought four years ago. It's like the opposite of the Wii, which was functionally a GameCube on spinach but became unrecognizable as such thanks to its completely redesigned, motion-dependent interface. Microsoft didn't find a way to elevate or evolve the user experience; they just served up a big steaming ladle of Metro brand porridge and messily poured it into a fancy new cup. Please sir, can I have no more?

No comments:

Post a Comment