Saturday, April 30, 2022

Just You Wait!

Costly little SOB. I think I'll have to
get re-acquainted with my old friend
instant ramen for the rest of the month.
(image from Revive-It)

I guess I'm gonna have to, because I have almost, but not quite, enough equipment to build my very often budget-conscious gaming PC. I've got the cheapskate-approved Dell Optiplex 7020 with 16 gigs of RAM, a spacious two terabyte hard drive, and an i7 processor (translated to non-nerd: this thing was awesome six years ago), but it's the GPU that's holding me back. Someone was kind enough to give me a GTX 970, which was also awesome six years ago, but at the moment this PC doesn't have a power supply with the wattage to bring it to life. Complicating matters is the fact that this system also has an oddball 8 pin power connector, forcing me to buy an adapter before it recognizes anything but the barebones power supply Dell shipped with it.

What I do have in there currently is a Radeon 7 250, which to be honest probably wasn't awesome at any time in recorded history. Heck, it's not even as powerful as the GTX 750 OC I've got stashed in the Acer I bought at a yard sale way back in 2014. I've got this Dell running Windows and Steam, but thanks to the GPU bottleneck, it's not quite ready to tackle the relatively humble WipeOut clone Antigraviator. I mean, it plays. I just get the sneaking suspicion that it could play a lot better. I won't know for sure until I have the money to buy those missing components, and that won't happen for another month. Woe is bored, hopelessly nerdy me.

Speaking of things that will hopefully be worth the wait, I'm cooking up some Nintendo Switch reviews, in the same style as the brief game summaries I used to write for the PSP back when I was obsessed with that system. Ah... good times, good times!

(By the way, in case you were interested, I did manage to fix that PSP-2000. It was an improvised, chewed bubble gum and crossed fingers kind of job thanks to one of the bails breaking, but any crash you can walk away from, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment