Friday, December 3, 2021

The Future Is Now, and Also Later

It's a Christmas miracle! The nearest Wal-Mart, which also happens to be the stingiest Wal-Mart in the Southwest when it comes to clearances, finally dropped the prices of a handful of Xbox One games. Not everything that was clearance priced was of interest to me personally, but I did manage to find a few tempting titles for seven dollars each, with Yakuza: Like a Dragon being the highlight. And here's a snapshot of my bounty, which Blogger will finally let me post!

When I bragged about my catch on a forum I frequent, I was told that my deal was even better than I thought, thanks to the magic of Smart Delivery. Apparently, games with the Smart Delivery logo on the case work with the Xbox One, but also get upgraded to next generation standards when you play them on an Xbox Series. I'm not sure how much of a difference that actually makes, as games for the Xbox One are compatible with the Xbox Series by default, but if I manage to get my hands on a Series X (and a 4K television set, and a gold-encrusted yacht, and a sparkly unicorn with a flowing, rainbow colored mane...), three of the four games I've purchased will run natively on it, and I'll reap the benefits.

The lone Smart Delivery holdout among my four purchases is Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, yet Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 can be smartly delivered to the Xbox Series, because... uh, why is this again? Maybe the power of the mighty Series X will give you even more interminable blather from the game's cast of brightly colored characters. I'm not sure who told you otherwise, but really, you guys aren't even the slightest bit interesting, and you could have shut up twenty sentences ago. It's like the disc came with three games... Puyo Puyo, Tetris, and Flail on the A Button to Skip Past Unnecessary Dialog.

I'm sure Yakuza: Like a Dragon is better. Likewise Dirt 5, which is a fairly recent rally racing game with a strong pedigree, if my time with Dirt 3 for the Xbox 360 was any indication. Power Rangers I'm not as thrilled with... I played that on Game Pass months ago, and it somehow straddles the fence between mindless and confusing. Still, you know, it was seven dollars. Maybe I could learn to love it for that price. I'd need a hypnotist to make that happen, though, and those don't come cheap.

3 comments:

  1. $7 is a steal for Yakuza. I don't play a lot of games these days, but I absolutely love this franchise and I thought this game was a lot of fun. The main character is a Dragon Quest fan so combat as gone turn based RPG style. I thought I'd hate it but I liked it quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, they actually mention Dragon Quest by name? Square was okay with that? Or did they just allude to it with a parody?

      Delete
    2. If I remember correctly it's a little bit of both, but it' been a year since I played it and my old brain isn't what it was. :)

      Delete